With Vera Nording, a surfer from Stockholm and 2013 Swedish longboard champion.
It’s cold. It’s dark. The season is short. The “beaches” usually consist of rocks rather than sand. Sometimes it snows. But none of that stops the small but dedicated surfing community in Sweden. We asked Vera Nording to pack her bags with whatever she usually brings for a surfing session in the north. Follow Vera's adventures on Instagram @veranording!
1. “My dear surfboard from Monster Surfboards of my own design. The lace pattern on the tail is actually real lace laminated into the board.”
2. Vibola organic surf wax. Handmade from resin and beeswax.
3. Houdini Mrs Dunfri stowed in its pocket.
4. Houdini W’s Power Houdi - The real challenge is to stay warm before and after the surf.
5. Selma, her Spanish water dog.
6. Vera herself, in a Houdini W’s Rock Steady Crew.
7. Houdini Power Wrist Gaiters.
8. Knitted hat from my friend Maria Danielsson’s company, Deelicious.
9. “My favorite book!” Ray Bradbury - Dandelion Wine
10. “I’m really hard to beat at backgammon.”
11. Warm boots from Minnetonka.
12. Vera won the Swedish Longboard Championships 2013. The trophy is a tiny surfboard necklace made from reindeer horn.
13.Houdini W’s Winter Slipstream Tights.
14. Homemade cinnamon buns.
15. Hot coffee. Never forget.
16. “My mom’s old sunglasses from the 80s”
17. “Analogue camera that I stole from my dad.”
18. A warm, hooded wetsuit (this one from Ripcurl) and boots and gloves are key to staying warm in the water. Changing in and out is the worst part.
19. This one needs no explanation.
20. “Leather jacket from Acne Studios that I received as payment for private surf lessons.”